2 dried chipotle peppers (wear plastic gloves when handling) – I sometimes omit this
1 cup chopped red onions
1/2 cup chopped carrots
1 cup chopped mushrooms
1 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
1/4 cup chopped fresh italian parsley
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon cider vinegar
1 can (19 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
1/4 cup blue or yellow cornmeal
1/3 cup unseasoned dry bread crumbs
1/3 cup nonfat sour cream – or mayo works just fine
1 tablespoon lime juice
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
dash of hot-pepper sauce
How to make it:
1. To make the burgers: Place the peppers in a small bowl and cover with boiling water. Let soak for 10 minutes, or until softened. Drain, pat dry, and remove and discard the stems and seeds. Chop
2. Coat a large no-stick skillet with no-stick spray. Add the onions and carrots. Cook over medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes, or until softened. Stir in the peppers, mushrooms, corn, parsley, cumin, and vinegar. Cook for 5 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender. Remove from the heat.
3. Place the beans in a large bowl. Use the back of a wooden spoon to mash about half of the beans. Stir in the cornmeal and the vegetable mixture until well-combined. Form into four 1″-thick patties. Roll in the bread crumbs to coat.
4. Wipe out the skillet and coat with no-stick spray. Place over medium heat until hot. Add the burgers and cook for 5 minutes per side, or until browned and hot throughout.
5. To make the lime cream: In a cup, combine the sour cream, lime juice, chili powder, and hot-pepper sauce. Serve with the burgers.
Hope you enjoy it!